On Sunday 2nd October 2016 at the Peebles Ex-Servicemen’s Club, a presentation took place to express gratitude to some of the local supporters, whom we hadn’t had the chance to thank formally, for the help and contribution they made to a fantastic Memorial Tournament and Family Fun Day on the 2nd. June 2016.
The event was a huge success due to the support, help and love of the local people who turned out in abundance. An amazing £13,000 was raised, which brings the total after 8 years to £128,731!!
£15,000 donated to local teams and Military Charities
In line with the aspirations of the fund raising Committee and our Charitable Purpose, £15,000 was distributed. £11,000 went to local teams and £4,000 to Military Charities as follows:-
- Peebles Youth Teams: £4,000.00
- Leithen Vale Sports Club: £1,500
This makes a grand total of £30,500 to youth teams in Peebles & Innerleithen.
- Tweeddale Rovers: £1,500.00 for new strips
- Peebles Rovers: £1,500.00
- Leithen Rovers: Requested £300, £500.00 donated
- Vale of Leithen: Requested £400, £500.00 donated
- Linton Hotspurs: Money towards upgrade of Facilities, £1,000.00
- Over 60’s Peebles Walking Football team: £250.00
- CG Sporting Enterprise: to continue Young Girls team, £250.00
- Royal Marine Charitable Trust Fund (RMCTF): £2,000.00
- Woodland Garden (Garden for Royal Marines and Families to reflect and enjoy at 45 Commando in Arbroath, £2,000.00
Representatives from all recipients were in attendance to receive their donations.
Alec loved football. He played for the Royal Marines and was in the team that won the coveted Navy Cup for 45 Commando Arbroath in 2008. He captained two under-21 International Scotland teams against Wales, winning both home and away matches. He played for the local teams noted above and Dalmore in Auchendinny.
A man who was devoted to and proud of his fiancé and daughter, Alexander James Lucas (Alec) was killed in Action in Helmand Provence 24th Nov 2008 Age 24. He was a Royal Marine Commando, serving with 45 Commando, Condor based in Arbroath.
The family and organising committee, would like to thank everyone for their help and generosity.
The 2017 Football Tournament
Next year’s Memorial Tournament and will take place on Saturday 3rd June 2017 at Whitestone Park in Peebles. This will be a 16 Team Football Tournament with Bar and Light refreshments only.