On Sunday 13th October at the Peebles Ex-Servicemen’s Club, a presentation took place to express gratitude to some of the local supporters, whom we hadn’t had the chance to thank formally, for the help and contribution they made to a fantastic Memorial Tournament and Family Fun Day on the 25th May 2013.
An amazing £10,770 was raised, which brings the total after 5 years to £79,770! In addition Susan Lucas raised £820 for the fund with her Afternoon Tea Party, part of the Arts Festival at the end of August. We have therefore raised £80,600!!
Distribution of Funds to Local and Military Charities
This year, following a huge turn out of youth teams at the Tournament and a chance conversation with single Mum commenting on the cost of football strips, we [the committee] decided to step in! In Consultation with the usual beneficiaries, we reprioritised our distribution and therefore the lions share this year went into the youth teams. In line with the aspirations of the fund raising Committee, £10,750 was distributed. £9,250 went to local and £1,500 to Military Charities as follows:-
- £6,000 to Peebles Youth Teams
- £2,000 to Innerleithen Youth Teams.
- Tweeddale Rovers, £500. As they host much of our equipment and provide storage Electrical Power and refrigeration for us.
- Peebles Rovers £250
- Leithen Rovers £250
- Vale of Leithen £250
- Royal Marine Charitable Trust Fund (RMCTF) £500
- Woodland Garden (Garden for Royal Marines and Families to reflect and enjoy at 45 Commando in Arbroath) £500
- Horseback UK £500 a charity in Aboyne that gets limbless service personel on horseback to explore the forests and camp out – What they joined up for not to sit on hospital wards and offices!
Representatives from all recipients were in attendance to receive their donations.
The family and organising committee, would like to thank everyone for their help and generosity.
Next year’s Memorial Tournament and Family Fun Day, will take place on Saturday 31st, May 2014 at Whitestone Park in Peebles. If you would like to get involved, do not hesitate to get in touch.